Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Nine-year-old Irish-born boy with sickle cell who fought deportation has died

13 July 2018 18:10
26 0
Nine-year-old Irish-born boy with sickle cell who fought deportation has died

The Irish-born child was buried after his funeral Mass today.

AN IRISH-BORN CHILD whose mother fought his deportation order for most of his life on health grounds because of his severe form of sickle cell has died.

The nine-year-old boy was taken to hospital on Sunday night but died the following day.

The pair fought the initial orders, made in 2011, in the High Court but were not granted leave to seek a judicial review of the Minister’s decision to deport. The Supreme Court dismissed their subsequent appeal of that decision in March.

However, a fresh application has since been made to the Minister for Justice on humanitarian grounds.

Brian Burns, the solicitor acting for the mother and son, told TheJournal.ie that the mother is still at risk of deportation but is just “absolutely devastated” by her son’s death.

The boy’s funeral Mass and burial were held today, where a large group of family and friends gathered with their pastor to pay their respects.

Sickle cell disease is an inherited red blood cell disorder. It can cause fatigue and pain, as well as damage to the internal organs.

During the court proceedings in March, an affidavit from the mother was read out which stated that she had been so desperate in order to fund his treatment that she had resorted to prostitution.

A 2014 letter written by consultant haematologist at Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin, Dr Corrina McMahon, was also read out. It said that the young boy “is at risk from the most extreme condition of sickle cell disease”.

Source: thejournal.ie

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0